Wednesday, November 07, 2012

How was your day?

My wife Marinda made a very insightful observation yesterday. Diabetes makes us talk differently to our daughter with T1D. And it's not fair.

When Cassie comes home from school, from a sleep over, or to the breakfast table, the default question that immediately pops out of our mouths is, "how's your blood sugar?"

REALLY? How annoying must that be? Parental worry pushes aside normal conversation.

We've done it for so long that even if we simply ask, "how was your day?" it seems like we're asking about glucose control. I imagine that an unspoken, parenthetical question hangs over the innocent question - "How was your day (with diabetes)?"

So we've made a conscious effort to not make a diabetes question the expected greeting from mom and dad. I've tried, "did anybody get into trouble at school today?" or "did anyone make you mad today?"

What do you ask your T1 child?

1 comment:

Susan said...

My name is Susan Jaehn-Kreibaum. I read about you in a magazine, "Motivated", that I purchased at Toronto Airport in November 2012. I read the article and clicked on your blog.

Although I do not have a child with T1 Diabetes, our eldest daughter was diagnosed at the age of 14, with Rheumatoid Arthritis, another dreaded auto-immune disease. She is now 20, and thanks to a cocktail of several medications, is managing her condition quite well.

I have been wanting for some time now to set up my own blog, in much the same format as you have done. Reaching out, sharing the joys and frustrations, and often the fear of what the future holds.

I would appreciate any advice that you wish to share. Often getting started is the most difficult phase.

Like you, I don't wish to give advice, just offer my own personal insights into the ups and downs of parenting, as you say not only the child with the condition, but the siblings as well.

In closing, I would like to say that I am sure many families out there are going to be grateful for your candid honesty, and your encouraging words and stories.

Keep up your great work.
Kind Regards
Susan


Many of your comments and feelings resonate with me